|Help Celebrate International Compost Awareness Week in Denver: Discover the Many Ways to Compost, and to Use Compost, Too!|
DENVER – Help Denver celebrate International Compost Awareness Week, May 5 – May 11, by discovering the benefits of composting! The process of composting (turning compostable materials into compost) and the resulting compost itself provide many benefits to the environment and to Denver.By composting once-living material such as food scraps, yard debris and non-recyclable paper, Denver residents are helping to conserve resources and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while also enabling Denver to reach its goal of increasing its recycling rate to 34% or greater as outlined in Mayor Hancock’s 2020 Sustainability Goals. Then, by using certified finished compost in home gardens, lawns, and houseplants, Denver residents can increase soil health, reduce water usage, and maintain healthier lawns and gardens!
Denver Recycles encourages residents to compost and to help Denver close the compost loop by using finished compost. Here are just a few ways to get started:
- Sign up for the Denver Composts program and start composting food scraps, yard debris, and non-recyclable paper such as coffee filters and napkins in your green compost cart.
- Join the 2019 Denver Compost Challenge and find resources for encouraging neighbors and friends to compost even more!
- Sign up and take a free two-hour Learn to Backyard Compost class.
- Bring extra compostable materials to Denver’s Cherry Creek Recycling Drop-off.
- Play the Denver Recycles Waste Sorting Gameto review what should go in your purple recycling cart, your green compost cart and/or backyard compost pile, and your black trash cart. Don’t forget to save your “Certificate of Achievement” for bragging rights!
- Pick up a bag or two of Denver’s Own EcoGro™ Compost at your neighborhood Ace Hardware store. This compost is made from the materials collected in the Denver Composts program and is a really easy way to close the compost loop! When added to soil, compost helps plants thrive by contributing nutrients, enabling soil to retain more water, and more. Detailed use instructions can be found online and on the back of each bag.
For more information about the Denver Composts program all other composting programs and opportunities provided by Denver Solid Waste Management, visit DenverGov.org/Compost.